Preparing for a Member Exam
To ensure accurate test results, please follow these instructions:
For exams at Staten Island or Commack, if you take prescription medications each morning that must be taken with food, please take you medication as normal. If you plan to have your blood test done on the same day as your appointment, eating a very light meal (such as coffee/tea and dry toast) before your exam is recommended. If you plan to have your blood test done on another day, you may eat normally on the day of your appointment.
For exams at Brooklyn, Middletown, or Fort Totten only:
- No eating, and no drinking caffeinated beverages or juice less than four hours before your appointment time. Please consider bringing something to eat with you. After your blood work and vitals are complete, you will be able to take a moment to eat (between stations).
- If you take prescription medications each morning that must be taken with food, please bring your medication dose with you. As soon as blood work and vitals are complete, you will be able to take a moment to have a snack (please bring one with you) and you should be able to take the medication dose at that time. If you smoke, do not smoke for at least four hours before your appointment time.
- If you take prescription medications each morning that do NOT require taking them with food, you may take them on the morning of the medical. Drinking water before your monitoring appointment will not affect test results.
A WTC Free Prescription plan covers eligible members’ medications with NO CO-PAY for: respiratory, chronic sinus, GERD, and mental health WTC related conditions. No other conditions are covered by this plan. Please call 718-999-1858 for more information.
To ensure that your visit runs smoothly, please follow these guidelines:
- If you have recent medical test results that you would like to show to the WTC BHS doctors, please bring them in. It is not a requirement, but just an option that we offer members.
- There is no treadmill or Stairmaster test. You do not need to dress to exercise, but you should dress comfortably.
- If you usually carry a pocket tool or pocket knife, we ask that you leave it in the car or at home because of heightened security at medical sites.
- If you use reading glasses, please remember to bring them with you.
- If you use an inhaler, please bring it with you.
Your continued wellness and participation in the FDNY World Trade Center Medical Monitoring and Treatment Program are important to us. The program offers needed medical follow-up and health surveillance, all at no cost to you. The Program works in compliance with recent New York State legislation recognizing possible delayed health impacts of 9/11 exposures. It relies on the participation of FDNY members.
Please remember that there is no penalty if you do not choose to take part in the WTC Program. However, your participation would be greatly appreciated and valuable to the entire FDNY community. If you do take part, we will respect the confidentiality of your individual records.
Thank you again for your participation. We look forward to seeing you again soon when you come in for your WTC health monitoring exam. If you have questions about the program, or if you need to reschedule your appointment, please call 718-999-1858.